February has been a crazy whirlwind of a month. A few weeks ago, I was hired for a new job and I'm really excited about it. Of course, with a new job comes an entirely new routine, and I'm still working out the kinks. I need to remember to carve little nooks out of my day for all of the things that sustain me, like reading, writing, knitting, gardening, playing with the chickens, and, of course, eating nourishing foods. I've failed with meals lately, eating out more often than not, but I'm ready to focus on this aspect of my life again. Plus, now that it's March, I have an entire garden to grow!
February Egg Count:
- Starbuck: 9
- Amelia Pond: 17
- Seven-of-Nine: 18
- Milly (started 2/23): 6
I don't know what's going on with Starbuck, but she's really dropping the ball. First, she's our largest chicken, but she lays the smallest eggs. Second, I'll see one or maybe two eggs from her at most per week. She's the only one of our girls who won't lay in the nest box, so we often find her eggs in strange and unusual places. My worst fear is that she's eating them, but I have no evidence to support that theory, so I think she's just a lazy layer. She's lucky we're so fond of her.
This Month's Favorites:
- Taproot Magazine. I recently purchased all the back issues + a subscription, and it was worth every penny.
- Holding the Internet Accountable for All Its False DIY Promises, an article about my new favorite YouTube channel, Just the Tips, with Katy and Katie. These ladies are really, really funny.
- Love these 10 Golden Rules for an Inspiring Kitchen.
- 12 Things Every Home Should Have.
- This might be a little hokey, but I enjoyed this site's explanation of Earthing/Grounding and its benefits.
- I had no idea you could tap maple trees for syrup in Oregon. How cool!
- 5 Minutes of what the Media Actually Does to Women. I've come across a lot of these videos recently. They seem to be gaining traction, which is awesome because there's no reason we should be so inundated with images of people who are this unrealistically altered.
- Chef John's recipe for Cauliflower Pizza Crust. I made this last weekend, and it was delicious.
- This guy and his Pride of Lions. So amazing.
- Amy Cuddy's TED talk on Body Language.
- By Mensen on the Huffington Post: 19 Things I Wish Someone Had Told Me Before I Turned 20 So I Didn't Waste a Decade. Yup.